The best Things to do in Murcia - Spain
The Region of Murcia is in south east Spain, it has 323 days of sunshine a year and it’s coastline Costa Cálida has 250 kilometres of beaches! What to do when visiting Murcia? Here are my top 7 tips of how to best explore this beautiful hidden gem. Oh and before I forget…Murcia is best explored active! :) You’ll see what I mean…
1. Go snorkelling - The area is known for it’s super rich marine life and interesting lesser seen species such as the moon fish, and if you’re lucky you might get so see some seahorses too! It is also a paradise for divers. When we went, we saw so many diving schools and diving boats out at sea exploring and because snorkelling was already so fun, it really inspired me to maybe look into learning to dive soon :)
2. Go Cycling - The coastline is too beautiful not to be explored intensively and therefore cycling along it is the best was to see as much of it as possible if you ask me. I love cycling and I love an activity holiday so when we got introduced to the guys from Ecoadventure who offer exciting cycling trips with electric or non electric bikes I was excited. It was hard, it was 35 degrees, it was gritty, it was off road and it was so much fun! Half way we found a little hidden beach to cool down and once we reached our final destination we were rewarded with Spanish ham & ice cold beer!
3. Go Hiking or Trekking - Another active way to explore Murcia? Yes! I understand cycling isn’t for everyone and it is exercise. So trekking along the coastline might be for you. More time to stop and take epic pictures of the incredibly beautiful scenery, more time to explore the vegetation and just as rewarding when you reach viewing points like the one in the thumbnail of my vlog:
5. Visit the Lighthouse of Cabo de Palos - There is a legend that says it was once owned by a family who then got swept away by the ocean and not it is electric. Nobody know if this is true, but what is true is that the views from the top of the Lighthouse are insane! I almost felt like I was filming with a drone, this is how far you can see :) More in the video
6. Eat the food - I mean for any trip to Spain this should be a must do, right? But with all these holiday activities I tell you, you will get hungry. And the food in Murcia is best described by wholesome seafood with a sweet twist. Arroz Caldero was my favourite, but they also make an amazing honey and walnut salad, too! Yum yum!
7. Visit the cities - Lorca, Águilas and Murcia city itself are 3 tips from me to you. On our trip we went to Lorca which is a beautiful and calm city so full of history I wouldn’t know where to begin. And Águilas is a seaside town in love with Carnival and crazy fun traditions. We went on a boat trip with Don Pancho there which took us a long the coastline, showed us some hidden beaches, and turned out to be much more entertaining than I had anticipated! :)